Friday, December 11, 2015

Scott Confirmed To Richard Petty Motorsports

Richard Petty Motorsports confirmed today that Brian Scott will drive the team’s No. 9 Ford Sprint Cup Series Ford in 2016.

"We're happy to welcome Brian to the team," said team patriarch Richard Petty. "Our team has worked very hard to continue our winning tradition and building consistency. We feel Brian is a great addition to that. He's made a steady progression through the ranks, and now, we feel he's ready to compete in the Sprint Cup Series."

The 27-year old Idaho native has been a Top-10 point driver in the NASCAR XFINITY Series in each of the last five years, despite being winless in 208 career starts. He replaces Sam Hornish, Jr., who finished
26th in last year’s Sprint Cup standings, with just three Top-10 finishes in 36 starts.

"I am thrilled to go Sprint Cup Series racing full time next year and to do it with such an iconic team," said Scott. "When you think NASCAR racing, you think Petty. I'm glad to now be a part of that legacy. I feel like we are in a good position to compete for the Rookie of the Year next year and continue the consistency that RPM built over the last few years."

No information was released concerning sponsorship, but announcements are expected in the near future.
“I started dreaming about being a Sprint Cup driver a long time ago and I’ve always wondered what that would look like and what the future held,” said Scott. “Never did I ever think that I’d get to drive for an iconic organization like Petty. I actually have gotten to drive for two iconic organizations, and that has surpassed any dreams that I was able to set as a kid.  I’m so excited to be here and to be a part of the growth.  Since I found out that this deal was coming about and been able to spend the last couple of days in the shop with the guys, I’m pumped. I’m excited. I really like the group of people that they’ve assembled here and I know that we’re capable of great things. I’m looking forward to putting in the work and to proving that on the race track.”

Scott said his part-time schedule of Sprint Cup races last season have prepared him for what lies ahead.
“I really liked being able to compete in races that were in the Chase,” he said. “Before that, I had done some (Cup racing) and the level is really elevated. I think I showed at Texas and Kansas, running in the Top-15 and racing into the Top-10 a good portion of the race -- really affirmed me in my ability. I think it opened the doors (and) ultimately led to having talks with Richard Petty Motorsports and being able to put this deal together.”

Scott also addressed previous on-track disagreements with his new RPM teammate, Aric Almirola, saying, “It’s no secret that Aric and I have had run-ins in the past in the XFINITY Series, but it really is ancient history. I feel like we put a lot of that behind us a while back. We work out at the same place with different trainers in the same buildings (and) we saw each other a lot when we had our differences.  It was a week before the July Daytona race last year that we kind of pulled each other aside in the corner of the workout room and kind of hashed it out. 

“We said, ‘How are we going to deal with this and what are we going to do, going forward?’ I think a lot of Aric Almirola, his ability in a race car, what he’s done for the 43 and what he’s done for Richard Petty Motorsports in building this team and improving performance year in and year out. I look forward to working with him. We’ve already had conversations (and) we’re excited to be teammates.  We’re excited to work together and learn from each other.”

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Family money buys another ride

    ReplyDelete