Wednesday, August 28, 2019

UPDATE: Dippel Reinstated, Possession Charge Dropped

NASCAR rescinded Tyler Dippel's indefinite suspension late yesterday, and his problems with the law appear to be solved, as well.

The NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series driver was suspended late last week after a traffic stop in his hometown of Wallkill, NY. He was stopped for driving 80 mph in a 65-mph zone and making an unsignalled lane change, and allowed officials to search his truck. That search revealed a bottle of prescription medication in a backpack that was not prescribed to either Dippel or his passenger.
Dippel was arrested and charged with seventh degree criminal possession of a controlled substance; a Class A misdemeanor. He appeared in Orange County Court Wednesday and had those charges dropped, after the owner of the pill bottle presented a sworn affidavit saying that the backpack in question was his and had accidentally been left in the back of the truck without Dippel’s knowledge.
“We presented proof that the prescription was not mine and the person that the prescription belonged to accepted responsibility for leaving them in my vehicle,” said Dippel in a Facebook statement today. “Because it was in my vehicle, I was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance. I contacted NASCAR within hours to inform them of the situation. Due to the NASCAR rule book and code of conduct, they ruled to suspend me indefinitely. I respect their decision.”
Orange County chief assistant district attorney Christopher Borek confirmed to NBC Sports that the possession charge has been dropped. Dippel pled guilty to a charge of failure to stay in his lane and speeding. He paid a fine of $150 and a $93 surcharge, and points were applied to his driver’s license.
NASCAR has not reinstated Dippel, but the 19-year old said he is hopeful to return to competition soon.
“I along with my team will work closely with NASCAR to hopefully be reinstated so I can be back in the Young’s Motorsports No. 02 Chevrolet,” he said. “I take full responsibility for my actions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment