Monday, March 18, 2013

Martin Consulting On New MWR Fitness Facility

Mark Martin has more on his mind than driving the No. 55 Aaron’s Dream Machine Toyota in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.

In fact, Michael Waltrip Racing driver is overseeing the construction of MWR’s new, 7,500-square-foot training facility; a multi-level complex in the team’s Cornelius, N.C. shop designed to improve the performance of pit crew members. The facility includes an inlaid car silhouette (allowing crews to perform agility drills around a car), free weights, weight machines, Cross Fit elements, cardio equipment as well as locker rooms and offices. Construction should begin this week with completion expected within 90 days.
“I'm really enthused and excited about what we're working on at MWR,” said Martin. “This has been a 10-month crusade to get the green light. It's fun. It's my second passion. I’ve been consulting with the strength staff and the coaching staff picking out equipment and designing the layout. We hope to have the nicest facility in the sport. You spend a lot of money on equipment in this sport and I think you are starting to see teams invest even more in human performance."
Despite his devotion to physical fitness, Martin could not quantify how much of an advantage it provides on the race track.
“That’s a real tough question,”” he said. “I used to answer that question by saying, ‘I’m not sure,’ because there’s not a gauge on people’s forehead that says they’re doing 100 now, when they were doing 50 before. I don’t know. I just believe that physical conditioning makes you better at any single thing you do, whether it’s going to the grocery store or what.
“Physical conditioning can make you better,” he said. “It can make you better physically. It can make you better mentally. Does it? I don’t know. It can, though. I don’t know the science behind it, but I believe it can make a difference. Certainly, it makes a difference in other facets of your life, so why wouldn’t it make a difference if you were driving a race car?”
Martin traced his devotion to physical training back to 1988, when he first signed with what is now Roush Fenway Racing.
“Before January 1988, I had to work in the race shop on building my own cars and working with my guys. All through my career, I had to work day and night and I didn’t have time to carve out to go to the gym. When I signed with Jack Roush, I didn’t have to spend as much time in the shop. I had time, so I was able to pursue it. I had always wanted to do it anyway.”

Martin said he works out either four or five days a week, depending on his schedule. “I only lift weights for an hour. I try not to let my weight lifting last beyond an hour, because it’s incredibly intense and somewhat counterproductive to go beyond 60 minutes.”

1 comment:

  1. Yes I saw you building photos with the other blog and I like it. But I want to see the inside of it. Hope you can show me around.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete