Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Pocono's Igdalski: 400 Milers "Being Considered"

Pocono Raceway President Brandon Igdalski told Sirius XM NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody that cutting the track’s two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races from 500 miles to 400 next season is “being considered. We’re looking at things, but we haven’t made that decision quite yet,” said Igdalski. “We’re looking at it for the future, whether it’s this year, next year, or a couple of years down the road. It’s a different sport and a different time than it was years ago, and we’re always looking at things.”

Igdalski took the helm of the historic tri-oval when his grandfather, track founder Dr. Joseph Mattioli, announced his retirement Friday. Igdalski said he was unaware of his grandfather’s plans, adding, “We got a call about 30 minutes beforehand saying, `Be in the Media Center in half an hour.’ I had no idea he was going to retire. My jaw hit the ground.”

Igdalski said he will gradually implement some new ideas and more modern fan amenities at Pocono over time, after traveling the circuit and seeing what other promoters have done.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new position. As a regular patron and fan of NASCAR at Pocono raceway, I would ask you to reconsider that thought of shorting the events let's keep endurance and strategy along with some history and tradition. We now have camping world trucks 1 time a year let's go for nationwide cars the other. Your facility is where I get my "NASCAR fix" twice a year and choose to only support my local tracks in Pa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:28 PM

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo! what are you guys doing both those races need to be 500 miles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:57 PM

    I get it, you buy a ticket you want more racing for your money. However, what if you get better racing for your money? The closest track to me is Infineion-- the shortest race of the year. Yet, every year I still get my fix and leave the track wanting more not looking at my watch awaiting the final laps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Hampshire Motor Speedway has never run more than 300 miles, and I've never heard a fan complain about being shortchanged.

    ReplyDelete