Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Edwards Happy With Martinsville Test

NASCAR rolled out its new 2013 cars at Martinsville Speedway Tuesday, and after a few laps on the track in the morning, Carl Edwards didn’t know much about his new Ford’s performance. He was positive about one thing, though.

“I know walking in the garage and looking at my Ford, it looks like a neat race car. That’s part of why I got into racing,” said Edwards, who was taking part in a two-day Goodyear tire test, along with Martin Truex Jr., Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick. “I like going fast. I like the competition and I really like good-looking race cars. I think it looks a lot better.”

And Edwards said he expected the 2013 Ford Fusion to be solid on the race track.

"From a competitive side, it (the new car) can only be good for us. I feel our team responds really well to changes. With the COT (Car of Tomorrow) we had a lot of success when it first came on the scene, so I think anything different is good,” said Edwards.

As much as anything, though, Tuesday provided Edwards an opportunity to get seat time at Martinsville, a track where he has struggled often.

“I’m just glad to be here and getting some laps at Martinsville. It’s a track that’s been really, really difficult for me personally and our Roush Fenway team for a couple of years now, so it’s really good for me. It’s nice to get a little extra time to work with Chad and Donnie Wingo and go through some things we’ve always wanted to try here. I guess Goodyear is going to work with us a little bit more this afternoon and tomorrow. I still haven’t eaten one of those hot dogs yet. I know you’re trying to get me to do that, but I’m trying to get fast without doing that. I like this place. It’s fun to drive. I just want to get faster.”

The tire test continues Wednesday at Martinsville Speedway with Edwards, Truex, Harvick and Johnson returning. The test will be open to the public free of charge, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets for all Martinsville Speedway race events may be purchased by calling 1.877.RACE.TIX or by visiting www.martinsvillespeedway.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment