Thursday, March 11, 2010

So Long, Angelle...

Angelle Sampey announced today that she will hang up her helmet and leathers and retire from the sport of drag racing.

Longtime Sirius Speedway listeners know Angelle as a three-time NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle World Champion and a good friend of the show in its early years. She will focus on her new aquarium supply business and starting a family with her fiancé Seth Drago, who she will marry in June of this year.

"I'm ready for a new challenge," she said. "I made the ultimate sacrifice to postpone starting a family when I began racing. Now, I'm going to make the ultimate sacrifice to stop racing to get married and try and start a family.

"I will take away so many great memories from racing," said Sampey. "I'm certainly going to miss being around my fellow racers and, of course, the fans. I really enjoyed meeting the fans at every race. They were always there for me through the good times and the bad times."

In her 13-year NHRA career, Angelle won 41 national events en route to those three World titles, recording an unprecidented 364 round wins in 506 trips; a winning percentage of approximately 72 percent that allows her to retire as the winningest woman in the history of organized motorsports. She also provided us with as many laughs as any guest in the history of Sirius Speedway.

We’re sorry to see her go, but we wish her all the best and look forward to some good news on the baby front, as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment