Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sadler Hoping For Daytona 500 Start

Elliott Sadler confirmed today that talks are underway to put him in a Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet for the 2012 Daytona 500.


“I’ve said before if I got chance to be in competitive Cup car again, I would jump at the chance,” said Sadler in an exclusive interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody. “Richard Childress and I have had some conversations, but what we really need is sponsorship, We’re getting close to getting that done, but there’s nothing done yet. I can’t confirm anything right now, but I am damn sure pulling for it to happen.”

RCR will field full-time Sprint Cup Series entries in 2012 for drivers Jeff Burton, Kevin Harvick and Paul Menard, but has an additional guaranteed starting spot in the first five races of this season; earned a year ago by Clint Bowyer’s #33 Chevrolet. Sadler is expected to wheel the #33, if a financial backer can be found.

The Emporia, Virginia driver said he is confident in his ability to race and win at Daytona, if the opportunity presents itself. “Look back over my last 10 Daytona 500 starts, and I don’t think there are many drivers with better average finishes than I have. Jeff Gordon may be the only one. I’ve had a lot of Top-5 and Top-10 finishes there, and I’ve been close to winning the 500 a couple of times. I really enjoy that race and I want to be a part of it. Maybe I can even earn a spot in the All Star race at the same time!”

Sadler said he is excited to open the season at Daytona, and as high hopes of contending once again for the Nationwide Series championship. “Even if we don’t run the 500, I’m exciting about my chances to win the Nationwide race. We’ve got a cool, new One Main Financial paint scheme, a new race team, a new race shop… a lot of good things going on right now.”

6 comments:

  1. Kewl! Hope it works out for Elliot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 PM

    Give'em hell Ricky Bobby!!!!

    Steve in TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:18 AM

    A wash !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Good News for Elliott. I hope it works out I know he can win in good equipment. When he was with Petty, they gave him crap equipment in order to run him out of the raceteam because he stood up for himself and made them pay him. Bad move Petty look at your raceteam now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 PM

    Anyone with the stones to wear those glasses has the stones to hold it wide open all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would take me from a "lay-on-the-couch-drinking-beer-fan" to a "jumping-up-and-down-go-Elliott-go-fan". How great would this shot at D-500 redemption be for him?

    ReplyDelete