Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leonard Wood: King Of All Lawn Mowers!!

Through the decades in which he served as crew chief for the Wood Brothers race team, Leonard Wood was known for being able to take his tools, solve any problem and create some innovative components.

For the man who has everything...
That same approach to problem solving led Wood to build one of the most tricked-out lawn mowers ever to snip a blade of grass. He also built an even fancier one for his brother Glen Wood; with that machine currently on display in the Wood Brothers Museum in Stuart, Va. Not surprisingly, both mowers carry the same paint scheme as the team’s familiar Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Fusions driven by Trevor Bayne on NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series.
Leonard’s mower can be seen in Stuart as well – when he’s mowing his front lawn.
The lawn mowers are the solution to a problem Wood experienced while mowing a steep slope on his property. “This bank in front of my house, you try to mow it with a self-propelled, walk-behind mower and your ankle would turn and it would wear you out,” said Wood. “I thought to myself; I’m going to make me a lawn mower, wide and low to the ground that will mow that bank without turning over.”
It’s the same approach he used when preparing the No. 21 Fords and Mercurys that many of the sport’s greatest drivers steered to Victory Lane 98 times since 1950. “In racing, when you’ve got a problem, you think about how to fix it and what can you do to make things easier,” he said.
What he came up with to solve his mowing problem rivaled some of his handiwork on race cars and pit equipment. “I just made the thing with four-wheel independent suspension so it rides good; it’s automatic,hydrostat,” he said. “It takes about two swipes to mow the bank and that’s it.”
Seeing the mower in operation, Glen Wood decided he wanted one of his own, and Leonard put even more innovations on the second one.
“I spent a little more of his money,” Leonard said with a laugh. “I thoroughly enjoyed building it. I fixed his just like I wanted it.”
Leonard Wood keeps mowing `em down!
The Wood’s lawn mowers definitely have a motorsports look to them. The updated version of Leonard’s mower has an Indy-car like nose on it. Both have big tires, roll bars and chrome bumpers. Even the suspension components are like miniature versions of those found on Cup cars.
“They look pretty cool,” he said. “I wanted them to be racy looking.”
Wood said that other than the engines, none of the components are from regular lawn mowers. “I just visualized what it was going to look like and what I wanted, and I just went and made it,” he said. “I didn’t make any drawings or anything. I got the material, sawed it out and welded it together. It’s all from scratch; it’s not copied from anything.”
Unlike his race cars, Wood’s lawn mowers aren’t known for setting speed records. “You don’t want a lawn mower running fast,” he said. The subject of getting speed from them has come up, however. A state trooper who had seen Wood’s mower in action wanted him to prepare it for a speed run at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
“He wanted me to speed this thing up and let him take it to Bonneville,” said Wood, adding that a lawn mower speed record is not out of the question. “It’s got suspension on it similar to a race car. You could make it run as fast as you wanted to, like a midget or something. There’s no limit to how fast you could make it run.”
Wood decided to hold off on a Bonneville run. Instead, he gets his satisfaction from mowing the grass and watching his creation perform as designed. “When you go over a bump, you can see the tire going up and down while the vehicle remains level,” he said. “It’s neat to see the A-frames and the suspension working
“It’s definitely the best riding lawn mower I’ve ever been on.”

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:57 PM

    I hate cutting grass.
    One of these might alter my thouhgts on mowing the lawn though.
    If nothing else it would get the teenager motivated to do it more often.

    Robert Y
    Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool mower, I have a steep bank and I always have to pull out the walk mower and go really slowly to get down there safely. I wish I could just stay on my lawn tractor and just get it done. That suspension must really give you a clean cut. Definitely nothing you'll see at Home Depot or Mowers Direct. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

    lawn mowing lynn ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ericka Salls6:03 AM

    Whoa! This is awesome. The title is surely fit on it. However, I might searching for small riding lawn mowers. Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beast of a lawnmower!

    ReplyDelete