Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Reutimann: "Danica’s Racing For Herself, And I’m Doing The Same."

While David Reutimann and Danica Patrick share the same NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner points, the Tommy Baldwin Racing driver says he should not be viewed as a seat-filler for the former IZOD IndyCar star.

David Reutimann
After falling out of the Top-35 in owner’ points at Martinsville Speedway two weeks ago, Reutimann was asked repeatedly about the importance of regaining guaranteed starter status in time for Patrick’s next start at Darlington Raceway May 12. Speaking on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody Tuesday, Reutimann said he and his TBR team have more to gain from solid on-track showings than Patrick.

“My deal is to be in that car for 26 races,” said Reutimann. “She’s in it for 10. So anyone with any common sense should (realize) it’s more of a benefit for me to keep it in the Top-35 so I don’t have to worry about it.
“Danica is dealing with the same deal I am,” he explained. “The better she runs, the better it is for me. And the better I run, the better it is for her. But I guarantee when she’s out there racing, she’s not racing for David Reutimann. Danica’s racing for herself, and I’m doing the same thing.
“It really shouldn’t be all that hard to figure out,” said Reutimann. “I don’t know what all the hype is about.”
The Zephyrhills, Fla., native said he was also perplexed by comments made last week by Penske Racing driver Brad Keselowski; comments critical of Reutimann’s role in a late-race caution period at Martinsville Speedway earlier this month. While not mentioning Keselowski by name, Reutimann said he cannot understand the continued rehashing of the race’s final laps. “You think it has died down and gone away, but all it takes is one person to say something and drag it all out again. It’s like, `Aw, here we go again.’ Some people just like to hear the sound of their own voice.
“I had a conversation with Jimmie Johnson and some of the other people it affected, and they get it,” said Reutimann. “They understand what it was all about, and they haven’t bashed me at all. When I talked to Jimmie, he was completely professional. He said, `Are you kidding me? Forget about it.’ That’s the mentality of a champion.
“(The ongoing criticism) is unfortunate, but some guys just like to talk. Evidently, it was a slow news day.”  

1 comment:

  1. Great way to put Reuti! Keep your head held high and push on. Prove what you can do in a car that doesnt have the funding needed to compete and you will get a solid ride.

    ReplyDelete