Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Buddy Baker Begins His Long Goodbye

At six feet, six inches tall and over 240 pounds, there are few challenges in life that Buddy Baker hasn’t faced, head-on.

NASCAR’s "Gentle Giant" manhandled race cars like few others could in his 33-year driving career, wrapping his country-ham sized hands around the steering wheel, stomping his size-13 foot through the firewall and driving to Victory Lane 19 times in a storied Cup Series career.

Last night, Baker revealed his latest challenge, announcing on Sirius XM NASCAR Radio’s The Late Shift that he has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.

“Just before Thanksgiving, I started having horrendous shoulder pain,” said Baker, who was eventually advised to undergo rotator cuff surgery. “I said, ‘Good, I’ll be back in a couple of weeks.’ Not so.”

Doctors eventually discovered what he called “a huge tumor in my lung,” and delivered a sobering diagnosis.
 
"There comes a time when you talk to the doctor and say, `What are my chances,’ and there's dead silence," said Baker. "I asked, 'How long?' (The doctor said), `Well, we don't own the hotel and we don't know when we check out. But it's something that we cannot fix.’”

Baker has been at the center of NASCAR virtually since birth. The son of Hall Of Famer and 46-time race winner Buck Baker, Buddy spent his formative years turning wrenches on his father’s cars, and fending off post-race challengers in an era when Victory Lane ceremonies often included a good right-cross to the chin.

Not many people picked fights with Buck Baker, and fewer still wanted any part of Big Buddy.

Once he climbed behind the wheel himself, records quickly began to fall.

He won the 1980 Daytona 500 at an average speed of 177.602 mph; a mark that remains untouched today. Later that year, he became the first driver to top 200-mph on a closed course during a NASCAR-sanctioned test at Talladega Superspeedway.

Baker was best where the speeds were highest. His heavy right foot and take-no-prisoners approach earned him four victories at Talladega, a pair of Daytona wins in 1980 and `83, consecutive World 600 scores in 1972 and `73, and da ominant win in the 1970 Southern 500 at Darlington that saw him lap every car on his way to Victory Lane.

He lost a few races along the way, as well, due to engines, transmissions and tires of the era that proved unworthy of his unyielding, all-out style. He remains unapologetic today, insisting that “hammer down” was the only way he knew to race.

Win or lose, Baker always came away with a story to tell. One of his favorites involved a late 1960s race at a dirt track run by his longtime friend, Don Naman. A hard crash into the backstretch fence left Baker with broken ribs, requiring a trip to the local hospital. The ambulance crew strapped Baker onto a stretcher – at least as much of him as would fit – and loaded him into the ambulance. As they crossed the backstretch, however, the back doors of the ambulance flew open, spilling Baker onto the track as the Pace Car – with field in tow – closed in.

“They had me strapped down tight, but I managed to get one arm free,” recalled Baker. “I started waving like there was no tomorrow, praying those guys would see me.”

Baker bounced across the track and into an infield ditch, toppling face-first into the mud. When the horrified ambulance crew returned to retrieve him and righted the stretcher, Baker growled, “When I get off of this thing, I’m gonna kill all of you.”

No one doubted that he could.

When his driving days came to an end in 1992, hastened by a nagging neck injury, Baker transitioned seamlessly to television, serving as an analyst for The Nashville Network and CBS. In recent years, he has been a mainstay of SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s weekday lineup, co-hosting "The Late Shift" and "Tradin' Paint."

Last night, Baker said he is retiring now, rather than allow the quality of his broadcasts to suffer.

“As I started to come back after my first lay out, I realized things weren't the same,” he said. “It sounds like I’m in a well, trying to yell up. With the quality that SiriusXM brings, I just wasn’t living up to what (I am) supposed to do.

“I knew it was time to say goodbye to a great racing career.” 

Baker has no regrets and wants no sympathy.

"I was lucky enough to have a great career as a broadcaster and also over 30 years behind the wheel," he said. "For those that feel sorry for me, hey, I'm 74 years old. I have great friends...and am a blessed person. The toughest part for me is not being able to talk to some of our regulars that are almost like family.

"I will never have friends or family that I think any more of than the people I've talked to over the past four or five years (on radio). I'm going to miss the heck out of not being around, but how many people would give anything to live a charmed life like I have?

"Do not shed a tear,” he asked. “Give a smile when you say my name. I'm not saying goodbye, just `Talk to you later.’"

16 comments:

  1. Life is never fair.

    We love you, Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 PM

    I will greatly miss his gentle voice, his laugh and his stories. I hope and pray for only comfort and peace for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:58 PM

    I will smile AND shed a tear when I think of Buddy Baker.

    (And it was 3/24/1970 when he did the first 200mph laps at Talladega).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit.

    How are we supposed to read that and not cry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kip Stockwell2:24 PM

    I met him at Thunder Rd 8-1-97 and he gave me a hand shake that I will never forget. Life sucks some times but no one can take the memories away. Live the rest of your life as fast or slow as you want. Thank you for all you have done for racing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buddy needs to go into the Hall of Fame while he's still with us!!! He had a unique voice that as soon as you heard it, ya knew it meant NASCAR. An unforgettable mountain of a man that will never be forgotten..... He is a model of what we all strive to be....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:14 PM

    Buddy was one of the first voices of NASCAR I remember as I finally got cable in college to watch NASCAR on TNN. He also holds a special place with me. At the 50th Daytona 500 he was alone in our hotel lobby watching a basketball game. Of course I did a double take and got those goose bumps of awesomeness. I ran upstairs and got my race ticket for him to sign. He signed it and asked if I had the program, which I also retrieved from the room, and he found his face amongst all the other 500 winners and signed it too. Then, we watched a Big XII conference basketball game until he had to leave. No one else around and still one of my biggest NASCAR moments. I've met a lot of drivers and he is in the top top elite holy $%^& moments!!! Scott Meador

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buddy is something special that comes around only once in a lifetime. I feel so glad to have watched him race and listen to his broadcasts. Fight hard Buddy fight till the end...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dwayne in Memphis4:30 PM

    One of the greats that we've been lucky enough to enjoy for as long as we have. I'll always remember his announcing when Dale finally won the 500 on his 20th try. When my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, we looked at it like a 2-minute warning. Cherish the time you're allowed to still have, and don't squander it. If my dad had lived another year, there's nothing I'd have left to tell him. Thank you for your racing, thank you for your stories and thank you for always being great to the fans. You're a great one, Buddy! A definite Hall of Famer!! Praying for you and the family. Cherish the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:49 PM

    I had a chance to meet Buddy in Phoenix in 2000. Never will forget it. Great driver. An even greater Man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. guy sukis7:19 PM

    Thank you mister Moody for such an elegant description of Mr bakers history, I've been listening to him for many years since he retired from teaching which I enjoyed watching him do as well. I've talked to him and bread a few times over the years and will always remember his stories and his genuine love of NASCAR and his respect, admiration and love for others. He is a very strong man that will fight this and will do it with all the support, love respect and admiration from a world that truly loves him with all our hearts. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too late, I shed a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:46 PM

    I hope it is a long goodbye. Not all of us get the chance to plan our last days. How can we not grieve his coming demise? He is a lucky man. We could all learn from him about courage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:00 PM

    In the 1970's he was my favorite driver when I was growing up. I raced go karts, and the nose of the go kart had a blue stripe down the center just like the car in the picture in the story. Had #15 on it too.

    Later in the 1970's I was a volunteer crewman on several different independent teams in the (at the time) Winston Cup Series; I'd see Buddy at every race driving Bud Moore's car and later cars for Hoss Ellington and M.C. Anderson, and never ONCE got the nerve up to admit to him he was my hero as a kid. But I think he knew, he'd come up to me in the garage and just start some small talk. Great driver, even better man. God Bless You Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:10 PM

    You are a class act Mr Baker and I will miss you on the late shift .

    ReplyDelete