Thursday, September 13, 2012

Brett Moffitt Is Back In The Game


Brett Moffitt
A week ago, NASCAR K&N Pro Series East leader Brett Moffitt’s season appeared to be over. Sponsorship issues prompted team owner Shigeaki Hattori to pull the plug on Moffitt’s program, effectively making the Iowa native a pedestrian in the four most important races of the season. 

How, however, Moffitt is back in the game. 

“Michael Waltrip is going to put me in one of his cars at Loudon, and Travis Pastrana is going to let me drive his car at Dover,” revealed Moffitt today. “I went in and talked to Michael Tuesday, and he went to bat for me. He and Travis both stepped up in a big way. Travis was actually supposed to run the Dover race, but when he found out the situation I was in, he called and asked. `How big of a help would it be if I let you drive my car instead?’ 

“He actually has to be in Las Vegas the next day for a rally deal, so he said. `Take my car, give it a good run and win yourself the championship.’ I couldn’t believe it. I was blown away.” 

Moffitt said he will be back in his familiar No. 11 Hattori Racing Enterprises Toyota for the final two races of the season at Greenville Pickens and Rockingham Speedways.  


Pastrana: "Drive my car!"
“I was at the HRE shop today and the cars for those two races are coming along great,” he said. “It’s amazing how God pulled everyone and everything together for me. People have done some amazing things for me in the last week, and I hope we can have success for ourselves, and for them.” 

While thrilled that he will once again be able to compete for the title in the final four races of the season, Moffitt said he knows the championship is far from guaranteed.  

“It’ll be cut throat for the title, and I know that,” he said. “Me, Corey Lajoie, Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott are all friends, but we’re tough competitors, too. Those guys will do everything they can to win take it away from me, and I’m going to give it my best, too.”  

“Michael Waltrip and Travis Pastrana put me back in the game,” he said. “They didn’t have to do what they did. They have bigger things going on in their lives, and they didn’t need to worry about me and my championship. 

“Now it’s up to me to make the most of it.”

2 comments:

  1. We race with Travis in the K&N Pro East Series. He is a CLASS Act and it is a pleasure to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:46 PM

    Brett was originally a MWR development driver...no idea what happened to that but seems he went the way of Trevor Bayne and Ryan Truex...elsewhere...nice of Michael to help him out...Even bigger deal is Travis gesture which is huge to this young racer! Good luck Brett!!!

    ReplyDelete