|"Just mash the gas, honey..."|
Lyn-z, a professional skateboarder and eight-time X Games medalist, proved her extreme sports background has prepared her for the driver’s seat.
Kristen Yeley, wife of NASCAR driver JJ Yeley, recorded the second-best time of the evening with a 20.59-second lap and defending Better Half Dash winner Jacquelyn Butler, fiancée of NASCAR driver David Ragan, had the third-best lap at 20.63 seconds.
The charity race to benefit Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Children’s Charities, will be held on the frontstretch quarter-mile of Charlotte Motor Speedway on Oct. 11 following Bojangles’ Pole Night qualifying for the Bank of America 500 and will pit the women of NASCAR against each other in Bandolero race cars provided by U.S. Legend Cars International.
Below is the complete list of fastest times from Tuesday night's practice:
1. Lyn-z Adams Hawkins Pastrana – 20.49 seconds(wife of NASCAR driver Travis Pastrana)
(wife of NASCAR driver JJ Yeley)
3. Jacquelyn Butler – 20.63 sec.(fiancée of NASCAR driver David Ragan)
4. Wendy Venturini – 20.72 sec.(motorsports analyst for SPEED Channel)
5. Michelle Gilliland – 20.80 sec.(wife of NASCAR driver David Gilliland)
6. Ashley Allgaier – 20.87 sec.(wife of NASCAR driver Justin Allgaier
7. Amy Gordon – 20.99 sec.(wife of NASCAR crew chief Todd Gordon)
8. Adriene Pattie – 21.09 sec.(wife of NASCAR crew chief Brian Pattie)
9. Angie Dillner – 21.30 sec.(wife of SPEED Channel’s Bob Dillner)
10. Katrina Childers – 21.36 sec.(wife of NASCAR crew chief Rodney Childers)
11. Patricia Driscoll – 21.455 sec.(girlfriend of NASCAR driver Kurt Busch)
12. Melanie Self – 21.965 sec.(representing Motor Racing Outreach)
The Better Half Dash is a 25-lap race, with a competition caution set for Lap 15. A random inversion will shake up the field before the final 10-lap shootout. Caution laps will not count. If necessary, there will be up to two chances at a green-white-checkered finish. The starting order for the race will be determined by qualifying on Monday, Oct. 8 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
While the better half takes the wheel, her significant other will serve as crew chief and spotter for the race, but drivers and crew members are not permitted to make any engine, chassis or suspension modifications.
The winning driver will receive $10,000 to be paid to the charity (or charities) of her choice.
In addition to the Better Half Dash on Oct. 11, Bojangles’ Pole Night will also feature NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying for the Bank of America 500, as well as the UNOH Southern Slam 150, the season finale for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour. Tickets are $12 in advance or $20 on event day. Kids 13 and under get in free. Tickets for all October races at Charlotte Motor Speedway can be purchased online at www.charlottemotorspeedway.com or by calling the speedway ticket office at 1-800-455-FANS (3267).
Photo: Harold Hinson