Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Carpentier Out Of Retirement To Drive In Montreal

One more ride for Patrick Carpentier
RAB Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing announced today that Canadian Patrick Carpentier will drive the RAB Racing No. 99 Napa Auto Parts Toyota in the NAPA Auto Parts 200 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on Aug. 18. 

The Joliette, Que., native won the pole for his home race in 2007 and posted second-place finishes in both 2007 and 2008. Carpentier has been one of the fastest drivers on the track in each of the last three seasons, before mechanical issues or accidents ended his race early. 

“The Montreal race is my Daytona 500,” said the 40-year old Carpentier. “I know I said last year would be my final race, but I’m a racer. When they called and asked if I would run Montreal again, it didn’t take long for me to answer. I’ve said many times that winning in Montreal would be a highlight in my career. Moreover, this year’s race is different, because my participation will benefit the Montreal Sainte-Justine Hospital Foundation.” 

Carpentier owns 15 Nationwide and 39 Sprint Cup starts, after winning five races and 22 podiums in CART in a stellar Open Wheel career. He also won the Formula Atlantic Championship in 1996. 

“We love Patrick, just like the fans do in Montreal,” said Robert Hattem, President and COO of UAP Inc. “He’s one of our heroes, and we’re thrilled he’s agreed to drive the Napa Auto Parts Toyota and represent our company once again.” 

Carpentier’s Toyota will also carry the decals of Harco Brands, and company president Jamie Dall said of the partnership, “Harco Brands is very excited to support Patrick in his return to racing in his home town, and to announce him as our spokesperson to promote our line of products in the U.S. and Canada.”


2 comments:

  1. I really wish he would get more opportunities, even if its just roadies. Like Road America or Watkins Glen.

    Hopefully the peeps at Sirius have him on all the shows. Never get tired of listening to him talk...racing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for him. He seems like a nice guy, and can certainly drive.

    ReplyDelete