Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sources: Allmendinger's 'B' Sample Tested Yesterday

Multiple sources say a second drug screening test has been conducted on the urine sample collected last week from NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger.

Allmendinger awaits test results
Penske Racing owner Roger Penske told Sirius/XM NASCAR Radio's The Morning Drive today that he believes Allmendinger exercised his right to request a test of the second, or "B” sample by Aegis Laboratories, NASCAR’s substance abuse testing agent.

Allmendinger confirmed that today, saying in a written statement, “I have requested that the "B" sample be tested, following the steps according to NASCAR’s 2012 rule book regarding this situation. I fully respect NASCAR's drug usage policy and the reasons they have it. I am hoping this can get resolved as quickly as possible so that I can get back to driving the No. 22 Penske Racing Dodge. I am sorry that this has caused such a distraction for my Penske Racing team, our sponsors and fans. Obviously I would never do anything to jeopardize my opportunity here at Penske Racing, or my fellow drivers. I am very conscious about my training and health and would never knowingly take a prohibited drug."

Sources speaking on the condition of anonymity confirm that the test was conducted late yesterday at Aegis’ Atlanta headquarters, with Allmendinger, his attorney and a toxicologist of his choosing in attendance to monitor the proceedings.

Results are expected to be available within the next 24-48 hours, and Penske said he and his team are “standing behind (Allmendinger) until we understand the results. I can't say today what that is going to be.” He said he has not spoken with his driver since he was temporarily suspension broke Saturday, but will await results of the second urinalysis before making any decisions about his driver’s future.

"We have a one-year contract with him (and) we'll have to assess the situation,” he said. “We'll look at the details… and make our move accordingly. At this point, it would be way premature for me to speculate what we might do.

"He's a very good guy,” said Penske. “I hate to see this. I'm more concerned about the individual than I am the circumstance. Long term, one way or another, he's a fighter. He's a good race driver and I'm sure he'll be fine. This is a speed bump that neither of us contemplated, and we have to deal with it professionally."

Penske vowed that he will not allow his team to become distracted by Allmendinger’s troubles, saying, “We've got to focus on our team and NASCAR. We've got good momentum (and) we've got to finish out this season strong.”

He also confirmed that Sam Hornish, Jr., will return to the seat of the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Dodge this weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.



23 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you A J....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:31 PM

    I so hope the sample B comes back negative AJ is such a good guy. I just can't imagine what caused the original positive result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:49 PM

      If the test comes back negative what is the fine to Nascar and how much do they pay AJ ????

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:24 PM

      how about 1000000,0000000,00 fine and a total national television apology and nascar be off his back for one year.frank.s

      Delete
  3. Rich from NJ12:38 PM

    While I hope the B sample comes back negative, for AJ’s sake, if it does, someone better watch out for the jet wash from the black helicopters. The validity of the tests/testing process will come under scrutiny like nothing we’ve seen yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very surprised by this... It blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Dinger

    You're a good kid. As I write this, I hope it's an error. I hope you can put this behind you. If it's not, I will be very disappointed. We all make mistakes. Most of us when given the opportunity of a lifetime, get down on our knees and thank our Angels for looking out for us. I really hope your Angels have been looking after you.

    All my best


    Doug from NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:30 PM

    What is in the water at Penske Racing? Mayfield, Kurt Busch with his DUI a few years ago and his ongoing behavioral issues, and now issues with AJ? Is it just me thinking this is too much to be a coinsidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:22 PM

      Kurt Busch was never issued a DUI. But AJ sure was issued one a few years ago.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:28 PM

      Actually Kurt had a DUI in Phoenix Az right before her was let go at Roush Racing to go to PENSKE...

      Delete
  7. Not sure what to say except I know there has to be a reasonable explanation for this. Maybe something to do with his training or workout supplements or vitamin regiment. I know he is not an idiot so there has to be an explanation of some sort. Good Luck with all of this A.J!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Why didn't Dinger and/or his attorney request the "b" sample be tested by another lab, and not the same one paid by NASCAR??? You should have the right to have it tested by another lab to verify that there is no funny business going on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:29 PM

      NASCAR's lab is highly reputable in the sports world, accusing them of wrongdoing is silly. Not to mention NASCAR has policies in place that allow AJ to have his own toxicologist present for the testing to rule out any wrongdoing.

      Delete
  9. There are two possible bad outcomes, and only one possible good one.

    If the second sample is positive with no explanation, AJ is done.

    If the second sample is negative, the whole program will be called into major scrutiny and it will create a crap storm like no other.

    Only possible is second sample is positive, but upon deeper review it was caused by a legally prescribed drug used by AJ during a recent illness which was failed to be reported on the medical form. After the administrative clean-up, AJ is re-instated.

    Let's hope it is the last result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very possible he could come out clean.. I went through this 2 years ago tested positive for heroin. Never touched the stuff... They tested my b sample and realized a mistake had been made and I was cleared.... I hope the same for the dinger I like him..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:59 PM

    For a team owner to say that he hasnt even spoken to his driver tells me a lot about Mr Penske. No asking what or why come on????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:43 PM

      Gots him his empire to worry about. NASCAR, just an advertising venue for his business.

      Delete
  12. "I am very conscious about my training and health and would never knowingly take a prohibited drug."

    Sounds like he took something and didn't report it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that's all it was. And it gives NASCAR a chance to establish how they handle cases of this nature.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous5:55 PM

    Could be just an oddity in testing or unknown taking something. Hope it's not anything major

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:19 PM

    Dave

    Using AJ as an example, What would or could Nascar do to make up for the point loss that a driver/team would loose in a situation like this.

    You can call all the drivers and crew back to a track and rerun a race to see how things could have ended with the suspended driver actually running the race

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  15. If the test was done late Monday, why do we need 24-48 hours to get the results? The sample was pre-existing and the test gives you the answer quickly. There's no need to screen for any other drugs than what came up positive on the A sample, so they aren't waiting for multiple results.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:50 PM

    First comment:

    We have a one-year contract with him (and) we'll have to assess the situation,” he said.


    Second Comment:

    "He's a very good guy,” said Penske. “I hate to see this. I'm more concerned about the individual than I am the circumstance.


    Really Roger you're more concerned about Dinger? You played your hand with the first comment. I as a fan don't believe your 'concern'.

    Good Luck Dinger

    Doug from NJ

    ReplyDelete