Sunday, July 15, 2012

Keselowski On Supplement Use: "Man Up And Drive."

Brad Keselowski commented this weekend on the controversy surrounding his Penske Racing teammate, AJ Allmendinger, who was suspended temporarily by NASCAR July 7 after failing a random drug test. 


Brad Keselowski
Responding to ongoing conjecture over the specifics of Allmendinger’s failed test, Keselowski said he believes NASCAR drivers and crew members should adopt a strict, hands-off policy when it comes to the use of unregulated supplements and energy drinks. 

“I want to believe that any performer or athlete… would not be dumb enough to take a drug that is against the law,” said Keselowski. “It just stands to reason that if you’ve made it this far in the sport, you’ve had the knowledge to not do anything that dumb. I hope it was something simple (in Allmendinger’s case)… a stimulant or whatever. If that’s the case, it does make a difference (what the substance was).  

“It’s my personal belief that nothing should be allowed,” said Keselowski. “Nothing. I don’t feel like you should be able to take Flintstones (vitamins). My own personal code… is to take nothing at all. When you go in that room to have a drug test taken, I’ve never taken drugs in my life… and I’m still scared because you know that if something goes wrong, it’s a death sentence for your career. It’s over. 

“You know it’s in human hands and by the very nature of it being in human hands, there is potential for error,” he said. “The course of history shows that humans make mistakes, even when they check, check and recheck. That’s why airplanes crash. There are plenty of redundancies in the airlines and they still find a way to crash.” 

While acknowledging that he is likely alone among NASCAR drivers in his view, Keselowski said, “It would be my preference that you (are) allowed to take nothing; that it is your job to… go out there and perform through the pain or whatever ails you. But obviously, that’s not the situation. Until we get together as a group or as a society and make that a position, there’s always going to be this gray area where we’re asking ourselves what supplement is right and what’s not.  

The Penske Racing driver said he is unwilling to stake his career on the legality of an unregulated supplement, adding, “I laugh out loud when people say, ‘Well I have my supplements checked,’ like there’s some special list of supplements that are okay.  

“What kind of world is that?” he asked. “That’s terrible. Nothing should be allowed. I don’t think there needs to be any committee that approves drugs or supplements. You should just man up and drive the damn race car."    

Photo Credit: ASP/Cal Sport Media

11 comments:

  1. Good stuff coming from the guy that drinks a few beers in victory lane on Saturday. Hope he was given a Breathalyzer before Sunday's race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brad 100%. This is not the minor leagues and I do not believe there is room for a "gray area." If a driver has a sponsor that is supplement, energy drink, etc., fill an empty container with water for post-race, pictures, etc. Also, I would be willing to bet that Brad is not the only driver with this view... maybe the only one willing to speak out, but not the only one with this view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie6:59 PM

    I thinks Brad is right. It is their career that is on the line. Brad man'd up after Atlanta and drove his car through the pain and won races. I guess it just depends on how much you want your career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:15 PM

    When you're Brad's age, things are so black and white. As you get older, the gray area gradually expands. May Brad K be blessed so that he never needs to rely on chemistry to resolve or alleviate a real medical issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geosez10:41 AM

      I don't think Brad was referring to legitimate medical issues here. And I agree with him. As Dave's previous post pointed out, there is a lot of weird stuff in these energy drinks. There's no reason to be drinking them or to be taking so-called "supplements". Use your head and educated professionals, not the grocery store newsrags, for you medical information. 'Nuff said.

      Delete
  5. I have never been a fan of his before this statement at the end. Brad... you have a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. James9:01 PM

    I like BK'S way of thinking. I want to know my driver is clean when he's or she's behind the wheel. And not wonder what supplement they may or may not be on. Eat healthy and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark Millet9:11 PM

    I agree 100% with Brad, as well as Jerry and his first comment. He isnt going to win a lot of friends at Penskie by not supporting his teammate though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert G.12:51 PM

    Couple of comments:
    1) I would think these days a driver could add to the sponsorship contract that the manufacturer is responsible to ensure their product conforms to the NASCAR drug policy. Stiff financial penalties if they don't.
    2) Brad may not use supplements (or even vitamins), but I bet he chooses only specific foods to eat. He says you should " Man up and drive the damn car". I take that to mean drive it as you are. Won't surprise me that he chooses them because they have certain enzymes or vitamins he feels helps him out. And how many drivers would be able to drive as long (like many others in their careers) if they don't use some sort of supplement (be it food or manufactured).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's simple. BK is right. As the world continues to develop these "enhancing" products weather they are energy drinks, power bars or supplements, governing bodies of professional sporting organization need to define and hammer down on the use of them. I applaud NASCAR for their stern policy and enforcement. AJ had the opportunity to present what it was he was using prior to using. He didn't. I look at it like this. Would you want your 8 year old son or daughter taking anything that might alter their physical or mental state to gain an advantage at the Tee Ball game? If it's not good then it holds true 15 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post. It is essential to read. I was wonder what other supplements our brain might need.

    ReplyDelete