Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Stremme, Hmiel Team With New Owner In 2013


Stremme has a new team owner
A new NASCAR team, Swan Racing, will take the track at Daytona International Speedway in February 2013. Led by NASCAR's newest team owner, Brandon Davis, Swan Racing will compete fulltime in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, racing the No. 30 Toyota driven by David Stremme. 
 
Davis, CEO of independent oil and gas company Swan Energy Inc., and a dirt-modified driver in the United States Modified Touring Series (USMTS) purchased the assets of Inception Racing earlier this year. 
 
"Swan Racing is here to race competitively every week – the days of starting and parking are over. I am confident that we are putting together the personnel to one day produce a championship contender," said Davis.
"I have spent a lot of time with Brandon this year and I can tell you he is here to win," said Stremme. "I have never been so excited for a new season as I am for 2013. I'm ready to get started now." 

Davis has tapped Steve Hmiel to be Swan Racing's director of competition. Hmiel is a veteran of the NASCAR garage area with over 35 years of experience as a crew chief, car chief and competition director. 

Steve Hmiel returns
Hmiel broke into NASCAR with Petty Enterprises, helping Richard Petty win championships in 1975 and 1979. In 1984, he was the crew chief for Terry Labonte's championship. As Mark Martin's crew chief from 1992 to 1996, Hmiel won 13 races for Roush Racing. In 2005, Hmiel was Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s crew chief for a brief period and won that year at Chicagoland Speedway. Most recently, Hmiel served as competition director at Earnhardt Ganassi Racing.

"Steve is among the best and brightest technical experts in the NASCAR garage area. His experience and expertise will be a crucial part in Swan Racing's success," said Davis. 

"This is a great opportunity to build a team from the ground up. Brandon is completely committed to winning; he has a long-term vision. I am excited to be part of it," said Hmiel. 

Swan Racing is located in Mooresville, N.C., and will get its horsepower from Triad Racing Technologies. Swan Energy will be the primary sponsor on the No. 30 Toyota. Discussions with additional sponsors are underway and further sponsor announcements are expected early in 2013. 

Growing up in Oklahoma, Davis, 33, worked on his father's dirt car until he was old enough to get behind the wheel and go racing: "I have been around racing all my life; it is in my blood. I've built cars, I've raced cars and now I'm looking forward to winning at the highest level. 

"I am encouraged by the success of teams like Michael Waltrip Racing and Stewart–Haas Racing in recent years. It says a lot about the competitiveness of the sport and the opportunity small teams have to succeed."

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 PM

    Grandsious expectations today - check back around May 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:04 PM

      Yep! David's an awesome driver with a great attitude!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:40 PM

      Nothing like negative vibes, why can't people be happy for someone who is trying to make a go of it.

      Delete
  2. I like what I am hearing but will wait and see how it goes if they DNQ 3 or 4 times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:02 PM

    David's got what it takes!! Awesome drive with a good attitude, so yeah, we all have our hopes up!!
    Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think 'Old School Racer', I think Stremme.

    I hope this team gets a shot at running full races. If anyone out there has paid his dues, and deserves another shot, its him.

    I wish them luck.

    ReplyDelete