Vickers underwent an examination this morning that revealed a small blood clot in his right calf. His physician, Dr. William Downey, has placed him on blood thinning medications that will keep the 29-year old driver out of Michael Waltrip Racing’s #55 Aaron’s Toyota for the remainder of the season.
Vickers said he is confident he will be able to return to competition before the start of the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup season.
Today’s news is the second blood-clot related issue for Vickers in the last three years. In 2010, Vickers was diagnosed with blood clots in his left leg, lungs and fingers after driving for Red Bull Racing in the Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway in early May. He underwent surgery to repair a heart issue and was placed on blood thinners to treat the clots and prevent a recurrence, missing the final 25 races of the season.
“If there’s anything to be positive about with today’s news it’s that this is only a temporary setback,” said Vickers. “The timing for this is never good, but I’m glad we’ll get it out of the way now and be ready to run for a championship with the Aaron’s Dream Machine in 2014.”
“We were just informed this morning and our concern is for Brian’s health,” said MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman. “Anything else will be worked out in due course.”
As previously announced, two-time Daytona 500 champion Michael Waltrip will drive the #55 Aaron’s Dream Machine at Talladega Superspeedway this weekend. A replacement driver for the remaining events will be named later.
In 22 races with MWR in 2012 and 2013, Vickers has earned five Top-5 and 10 Top-10 finishes, including a victory on July 14 of this year at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.