Thursday, February 28, 2013

Clements Suspended For "Intolerable and Insensitive Remark"

Jeremy Clements
NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Jeremy Clements was indefinitely suspended by NASCAR today for violating the sanctioning body’s Code of Conduct. 

On Feb. 23 at Daytona International Speedway, Clements violated Sections 7-5 (NASCAR’s Code of Conduct) and 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing). 

NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations Steve O’Donnell commented on the suspension, saying, “During the course of an interview, Jeremy Clements made an intolerable and insensitive remark. NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that’s explicitly spelled out in the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book. We fully expect our entire industry to adhere to that Code.”
The sanctioning body declined to provide details on Clements’ remark.

UPDATE: Jeremy Clements has commented on his indefinite suspension from NASCAR, saying, “I apologize and regret what I said to the NASCAR writer and to NASCAR, my sponsors, my fans, and my team. NASCAR has a Code of Conduct that everyone must follow and I unintentionally violated that code.”

Multiple sources say Clements’ uttered a racial slur in an interview with a reporter at Daytona International Speedway, but the driver declined to characterize his comments. “I will not get into specifics of what I said, but my comment to the writer was in no way meant to be disrespectful or insensitive to anyone or to be detrimental to NASCAR or the NASCAR Nationwide Series,” Clements said. “I will do what I need to do in order to atone for my error in judgment."
The 2013 NASCAR Nationwide Series rule book prohibits public statements that criticize, ridicule or otherwise disparage another person based on race, color, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age or handicapping condition.


12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    I sure would like to know what he said to get such a severe punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:53 PM

    Must've talked about danica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Jeremy told ESPN's Marty Smith today that the comment was racist in nature.

      Delete
    2. We need NCIS to check into this.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:26 PM

    I have never liked the section 12 -1 "actions detrrimental to stock car racing". If someone passes gas around Mike Helton, they probably could be suspended for " actions detrimental to stock car racing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Untrue, I've done it and emerged unscathed.

      Delete
    2. Too bad Mike Helton didn't, Dave! LOL

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely incorrect. The word "redneck" was not the cause of the penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just because NASCAR engaged our curiosity does not mean it would be the correct move to tell us what was said. It was bad enough to cause this reaction, they took action, Jeremy admits he said it and they've all moved on. Time for us to do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we just race cars. I think half of the fans like to make the sport a soap opera. NASCAR holds drivers and teams to a higher standard than most of us are used to. That's why we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. arcespark1:57 PM

    Was this comment made to a writer during the course of an interview? I had heard otherwise and just wanted to clear that up in my mind. The good ol boy language went out a long time ago but I think that nascar sometimes forgets where they came from. But its a different world today than it was say 30 years ago. Man I have been following this sport for many years lol
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope all of the drivers learn from this and we can move on. NASCAR has high standards and drivers should live up to them at all times. I don't care if it is Kyle Busch or Mr. Clement, it should be enforced at all times.

    ReplyDelete