Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No NASCAR Penalties For Logano, Stewart, Or Teams

NASCAR's John Darby
NASCAR says there will be no sanctions imposed in the aftermath of Sunday’s Auto Club 400 in Fontana, California.

NASCAR Director of Communications Kerry Tharp confirmed earlier today that no penalties will be levied for the last-lap crash involving Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin, a profanity paced post-race interview by Tony Stewart, or a pit road dustup between Stewart, Logano and their teams that resulted in at least a few punches being thrown.”

Sprint Cup Series Director John Darby explained the sanctioning body’s decision not to penalize, saying, “A few years ago, we backed away from micromanaging drivers' emotions. You would hope in today's world that if somebody didn't win a race, they would be upset about it, for whatever reason. That's what our drivers do. They try to win races.
“(There are) checks and the balances, but a couple of drivers arguing a little bit at the end of the race doesn't create a foul in our world,” he said. “The crews did a great job of managing their drivers to make sure it didn't cross the line to where there was physical violence or anything like that.”
Darby said NASCAR remains committed to its “boys have at it” policy, and has no desire to begin sanctioning drivers for blocking or on-track contact.
“There are not any conversations internally -- inside of NASCAR -- to look at blocking as a violation or a penalty type situation (as) some other forms of motorsports do,”he said. “We are going to have close racing; close side-by-side racing and close front-to-rear racing… that's just part of competition. As good as the racing has been and as exciting as it's been, I don't think we need to jump in the middle of that and screw it up.”
Photo: Jason Smith/Getty Images


  1. Debbie G5:12 PM

    I'm glad NASCAR offical saw this the right way since it's was all just racing. Since they came out with the "boys have at it". They need to stand by it. Good on NASCAR !!!!

  2. Anonymous5:15 PM


  3. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Perfect reaction. Thank you NASCAR

  4. Wow, that's all I can say. I'm happy about the decision. I'm glad that Smoke didn't get fined for his comments sense everything was bleeped out. Think that was the best interview of the season so far. The wreck was a wreck. Hard racing and emotional. Horrible that Denny got hurt. Never want to see anyone hurt, but wrecks are part of racing. Glad the cars are as safe as they are or that could have been worse then it was. Can't live in the land of what if though. All in all I'm happy that NASCAR is letting the drivers, crews, and teams police themselves. Cant wait till Martinsville.

  5. Anonymous6:16 PM

    i glade that nobody was penalized and pretty much with what nascar said they should give hamlin his money back from phoenix

  6. Did Darby announce what the bonus they were going to pay Tony would e for the ratings boost?

  7. As far as his comments being bleeped, the words bleeped out were words you hear on regular TV. The H word. The B word. The A word. And I have heard the P word as well. No S bomb. No F bomb. Anybody whining about Dale Jr getting penalized however many years ago should consider that.

  8. If that was Kyle Busch he would be canned for two weeks.

    1. and two weeks wouldn't be enough... just kidding. I think NASCAR did the right thing. The only bad thing out of all of this is that Hamlin was hurt. As much as I respect Jimmie Johnson and Dale Jr, I don't want 43 of them driving in NASCAR. We need some "bad boys" that push the envelope from time to time. I bet the Martinsville ratings will be through the roof. Besides, when was the last time NASCAR canned anybody for 2 weeks?

  9. i suppose Jr's points dock & fine for cursing on TV a few years back was just something unique to him. Smoke new motto should be "do as i say, not as i do".

  10. Anonymous7:34 AM

    a horse`s patoot can do `most anything if they are a multy-championship driver